Blog Design Change #2: Programmatic Approach

I was updating my blog design in these past 7 days. It was more of functionality upgrade by programmatic approach rather than fine tuning the css and html code. I use jQuery to further leverage functionality and the look of my free blogger account. jQuery is a Javascript API (for a non-geek, you can call it some kind of a feature upgrade to the web pages) that lets you get fantastic result by writing only a small piece of javascript code. There are many sites that is using jQuery, to name some of the popular ones are Google and Facebook.


Last weekend I have my hands on that jQuery things that people are talking and use so much for the past years. And the result is MARVELOUS! This is the list that I have done for the past 3 days:
  • Added [Drag To Share] plugin so that you can drag on an image or post title to share it on social networking sites like facebook, twitter, tumblr, digg, delicious etc. To try it, you can drag and drop the title of this post (click the title and hold the click while you move your mouse pointer). This feature is a little bit buggy especially when you right-click the image two times. I use tutorial from searching Google and adjusted several part of the code to suite my needs. In the coming weeks, I will post a guide article on how to do this in your blogger account. For those of you that aren't patient enough can go search in Google using keyword: "Drag To Share in Blogger". I think that this technique to share articles or posts is relatively new and will become more popular in the coming months.
  • Added [Photo Tagging] plugin so that you can view the tag of certain area on the photo and see a description of it. You can use it pretty much the same like Photo Tagging feature in Facebook. This feature is also a little bit buggy, especially if you are using Internet Explorer (tested with IE8). I use ImgNotes v0.2 to include this feature in my site with a little customization. ImgNotes is a jQuery plugin. As I learn jQuery, I also created a little utility to tag the photo (that will generate javascript codes containing coordinates of the tags in the photo), which I have finished but has not been uploaded yet. Please be patient while I'm working on the How To Include Photo Tagging In Blogger guide article. I'll work on it around this weekend.
  • Added Google Analytics and Hit Counter (from StatCounter). I use this to analyze visitors of my site.
  • Hosting several image, css and javascript files in MyDataNest.com. They are a file sharing service that has a direct linking capabilities, making it suitable to store your files and design resources. You can open a free account with 10GB bandwidth quota and 2GB free space. I don't think that the speed of MyDataNest free account is good enough, but that's the best you can get for free. I hope someday Google will allow people to direct linking to their file sharing services.
With Blogger and MyDataNest account combined with one nicely designed template and don't forget jQuery, you can create a great looking website without spending dollars on good (fast, reliable, full featured) web hosting services such as GoDaddy or the likes of it. You can do it all for FREE!! If you are planning to use your own domain name such as www.aristian.com instead of aristian.blogspot.com, then all you have to pay is $10 for 1 year subscription. Pity on me that www.aristian.com has already been taken by a domain-name-junkie that listed it for $1500.

So, my next todo list is:
  • Further fine tuning on several parts of my blog design using jQuery and maybe customize the styling of Drag To Share plugin a little bit.
  • Create an article on how to include photo tagging capabilities in blogger and upload the photo tagging utility.
  • Finding the identity and name of my blog. This is important! Once I solve this matter, it would ease me to modify the header section of this site and decide what domain name to buy.
That list is going to take some time to finish it. This is Aristian speaking, over and out!

13 comments:

January 19, 2010 at 12:50:00 PM GMT+7 jak said...

Hahaha..tips again from Mr Bloggertips (can i call u that?) Drag widget is cool...but dunno i will use it or not...

like this sentence,
"This is Aristian speaking, over and out!"

cool!!

January 19, 2010 at 2:12:00 PM GMT+7 blu said...

thank you ya topi jerami :) hehe
i love urs too...waaa photo tagging ^^ lovee it...
i cant wait for the tutorial!

January 20, 2010 at 2:36:00 AM GMT+7 Aristian W. said...

@jak: you dont call me by that name, maybe someday but that day will still be faraway... hahaha..

@blu: ur welcome... bluquote is great.. interest in what freebie would be, would you mind leaving me a note when it's ready?

January 20, 2010 at 2:42:00 AM GMT+7 Aristian W. said...

@blu: i didnt notice before until i checked my StatCounter, it says that you are in HK... good luck for whatever you do there :)

January 21, 2010 at 12:25:00 PM GMT+7 jak said...

Nggak sampe faraway..kayaknya udah mendekati...tuh, buktie post baru mu tips ttg blog lagi hehehee

January 28, 2010 at 11:27:00 AM GMT+7 Aristian W. said...

@jak: ga sadar kamu ada comment lagi disini... hmmm iya sih, but please dont call me by that nick..

September 11, 2011 at 11:09:00 PM GMT+7 Mac Photo Recovery said...

This post was very well written, and it also contains a lot of useful facts. I enjoyed your distinguished way of writing the post. Thanks, you have made it easy for me to understand.

October 12, 2011 at 2:26:00 PM GMT+7 vending companies said...

I am pretty glad to find this site. I would like to say thanks regarding this brilliant reading. If you possible could add Delicious button to your web page, it will benefit you to reach far more individuals over the internet. Cheers

November 15, 2011 at 2:04:00 PM GMT+7 sink vanities said...

This was a really outstanding post. In theory I’d like to compose like this too – taking time and real effort to make a solid article…

November 15, 2011 at 4:09:00 PM GMT+7 sink vanities said...

excellent tips about blog designing.Now I'm regular reader of your blog.

January 11, 2012 at 12:55:00 AM GMT+7 fishing smallmouth bass said...

The site is very interesting, made some valid observations and the theme is the point. I choose to add your website to your favorites so you can do to another date.

January 11, 2012 at 12:57:00 AM GMT+7 fishing smallmouth bass said...

Hopefully I can learn more from your valuable experience. Thanks a lot for sharing this and please keep on posting more.

September 22, 2012 at 11:11:00 PM GMT+7 self drug test said...

I just like the approach you took with this subject. It isn’t every day that you discover something so concise and enlightening.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails